Thursday 8 July 2010

Day 7 - Pianos on tour

As I cycle across the hills and dales, and up and down the peaks and troughs, it does cross my mind from time to time which piano I'll be confronted with next. Alice has her instrument with her all the time. I, however, have to leave this part of my job in the lap of the Gods. Before last night's concert in Bakwell, I'd had two Steinways in three concerts. Awesome! Last night was a small, bashed about upright in the Medway Community Centre, Bakewell. Not an easy instrument with which to support two rich operatic voices. Still, I was once nicknamed the 'Stranders Philharmonic' by an encouraging conductor and last night I gave that little upright my all. We really did manage to make some beautiful music!

My dedication today goes to the piano. Whatever it is like - old, young, chipped, polished, resonant, dry, responsive, awkward - it is my job to turn it into my best friend. Thank you to that little piano in Bakewell for helping us to reap another £480 into the pot. Next piano stop: Harrogate...

6 comments:

  1. See? Shoulda played flute, dahlink!! I think more instrumentalists and singers should appreciate the fact that if you're not Glenn Gould you can't take your piano with you!! Well done on your successes to date, gals! xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the parade of pianos you described. You can make a friend of any piano, Susie! Keep peddling... -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosie and Peter8 July 2010 at 11:34

    I'm enjoying the description of hills upwards from the comfort of my desk chair!! But missing the lovely sounds you will be making ..... and tonight it is Bryn Terfel at The Henley Festival, happy memories of a couple of years ago, Susie!
    Keep on pedalling, piano, forte and cyclical!
    lol Rosie and Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab well done ladies. They don't call you Susie "fingers" Stranders for nothing! Keep cycling and enjoy the experience - you're doing a wonderful job raising all this dosh! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi susman philarmonic

    We loving your cycling tales. Hope Stanley is doing you proud. Love that you are enbracing those upright piano moments....

    Thinking of you. Martin and Jen will see you at the finish in fort william. lucky lucky them.

    xRose, paul and beattie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Suz and Alice,

    I just feel very emotional reading right through your blog again. Have so much admiration for what you are doing for two really worthy causes. I too loved your comments about your 'piano friends', Susie. Love to both you and Alice - bravo for being able to adapt your programme so well when necesssary - I am sure that visitors to Durham Catherdral will have a real treat in store tomorrow lunch-time. Judy and Mike xx

    ReplyDelete