Tuesday 6 July 2010

Day 6 - obsession with food sets in...

I'm a geek. I beg your indulgence.
Mum, you might want to look away.

Max speed today 41.4 mph. Yeeha!

So, it's starting to get a little hillier as we edge our way from Staffs and into Peak District territory but Susie & I keep saying with raised eyebrows and a glint in the eye how much easier it is proving than we expected. (I really hope that's not tempting fate). Those hills are simply just not registering. YET. However. My my my. Very familiar with the lowest gears already so at the back of my mind I am wondering how on earth the scottish hills are going to get climbed...but we'll cross that bridge etc...

Wonderful thing about all this cycling malarkey is not having to feel guilty about cooked breakfasts and Ivor & Norah laid on a grand one this morning. However, missing my habitual breakfast fruit & yoghurt and feeling constant cravings for broccoli & beans would you believe, I have gone the way of vitamin pill popping. Yes, it's probably all one big drug company con but willful self-delusion is always worth a try.

Funds safely banked, we hit the road for a mercifully meagre 30 miles today to Ashbourne in Derbyshire where we are staying with Pat & Ernest, (Susie's brother's in-laws). More food. Of the best variety. Home-made. Thanks Pat for a sublime meal.

Mum, it's back to you. You'll be pleased to hear I've taken your advice and Andrea has kindly acquired some tennis balls for massage purposes. Susie extols your genius. My quads thank you too.

Increasingly dismayed that nowhere outside the M25 seems to serve food beyond 2pm in the afternoon.

Tomorrow...to Bakewell for some evening tra la la-ing.

5 comments:

  1. Gill Woodbridge7 July 2010 at 07:10

    Too right, Alice Palace,I wish I could look the other way - your mama not happy about your speedo at all, not at all. So glad you girlies are managing so well. A cursed nuisance last week's cruise with the ship's air con drying out your vocal cords so badly. Looking forward to joining you at the end of the week.

    Well, I guess your old mum can't talk - Sunday I sailed knowingly over-canvassed in an F7, exceeded the boats hull speed at 9 knots and nearly broached twice - twas a great sail tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done girls, we are keeping a watch on you.
    We had hoped to get to see you at Ludlow, but hospital appointments got in the way.
    Keep up your "Spirit of.....Adventure"
    Love,
    Sheila & Mike Heath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo to you gorgeous women Back sAfely and loved seeing you. Tessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh you make it sound all so easy! Am sure it doesn't feel quite that way, but lovely positivity! Ut xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. 41mph Yeeha!!!! Glad to hear you're going for it!!! Ax

    ReplyDelete